- One license is good for up to five Macs in your household (non-commercial use only).
- For commercial use each Mac needs its own license. Site license discounts are calculated automatically.
- All minor version updates are free.
- Discounted upgrade pricing for major new versions.
Create and Update
- BetterZip can create archives with these formats: ZIP, TAR, TGZ, TBZ, TXZ, 7-ZIP, XAR, and — using the external commandline utility — RAR.
- Add files to or delete files from archives. Move and rename files inside archives.
- Compatibility: Have BetterZip remove Mac specific files from archives for archives that look and behave well on Windows.
- Edit archived files in an external application and BetterZip can update your archive.
Open and Extract
- BetterZip can currently open and extract over 30 archive formats including: ZIP, TAR, TGZ, TBZ, TXZ, 7-ZIP, RAR, Apple Disk Images (DMG), TNEF (winmail.dat), ARJ, LHA, LZH, ISO, CHM, CAB, CPIO/CPGZ, DEB, RPM, StuffIt’s SIT and SITX, BinHex, MacBinary, ePub, JAR/WAR/EAR/SAR/PAR/WSR Java archives, CBZ/CBR e-books, GZip, BZip2, WIM.
- BetterZip can also join split files with enumerated file extensions 001, 002, …
- Open and extract winmail.dat files.
- Open, extract, and quick look Apple disk images (dmg files).
- Open, extract, and modify ePub files. BetterZip is not a replacement for a real ePub editor, but since ePub files are really just special zip files, why not use BetterZip to peek into or even modify them.
- Extract images and sounds from PDF or Flash files.
Protect Your Data
- Protect your data with strong AES-256 encryption. Never email sensitive files unencrypted or upload them to cloud services without protection.
- BetterZip’s password manager can collect a list of archive passwords in your keychain and use them automatically whenever you open an encrypted archive.
- BetterZip features a password generator similar to Safari’s. Let BetterZip suggest strong passwords whenever needed.
- BetterZip allows you to add configurable services to macOS’ Services menu.
- The new Finder extension puts all your presets in the Finder’s toolbar. Select some files in Finder, click the BetterZip button and choose one of your presets from the drop-down menu to create an archive with these files. Of course, you can also invoke any of your extraction presets on selected archives.
BetterZip allows you to create presets for creating and extracting archives. Presets collect all settings that can be applied to an archive, from the destination folder and archive format, to passwords and even a script to execute after the operation completed.
BetterZip can filter out unwanted files during archive extraction. No more Thumbs.db and other unwanted stuff from other systems! It can also prevent files from being put into your archive in the first place. You don’t want your hidden version control folders or backup files in the archive.
Extensive AppleScript Support
BetterZip can be scripted using AppleScript. Integrate it in your workflows.
BetterZip 4 includes Automator actions for compressing and extracting archvies.
BetterZip 4 integrates nicely with third party productivity tools like Alfred, LaunchBar, DropZone, and Hazel.
See the Automation page for more details.
Display, add, and update archive comments for zip and rar formats. BetterZip can also display the file comments that may be present in zip files.
- Quickly test an archive without extracting it to find out whether it is damaged.
- Test archives using the operations queue.
Integrated QL Generator
The widely used BetterZip Quick Look Generator is now integrated into BetterZip. Using the QL generator is still free for all, but there is one neat new feature that requires a BetterZip license (after the trial expired): The new QL generator lets you click a file in the archive. At this point it will hand command over to BetterZip which extracts and displays the clicked file. It’s really nice, if I say so myself.
There are no reviews yet.